Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bottomless Mug

I found this glorious sign a few weeks back at Bruegger's Bagels and ended this post with saying I'll work it into a 3 Act.

As promised, here is the 3 Act lesson.

Act 1: My question: How much money could you actually save?
Other popular questions can be found at 101qs.com. I like getting to that initial question because many of the others will be answered along the way.

Act 2 info would look like this for my area, but the cost of a medium sized cup of Bruegger's coffee might be different in your area (for a limited time, of course). Check their website.

Now you know the cost of the mug, but I find the 3 days, 5 days, and 7 days per week (the rate where you live next door) very intriguing. In solving this one, my natural tendency was to round that cup to $1.90. Be careful, that difference could buy you a bagel or two. Anyway, have fun with this one. My wife and I just celebrated the birth of our daughter on New Year's Eve day. I don't drink coffee, but I do enjoy iced tea and this Bottomless Mug Club is starting to look rather appealing now.

Personally, I like the sequel tasks more than the original task. Sequel tasks include:

  • On what day in 2013 would you break even if you get coffee 3 days/week, 5 days/week, everyday?
  • When would be the last day to buy the mug and still save at least $1.89?
  • What could be the prorated price of the mug if bought in January? February? March?... 

Have a sequel to add? Toss it in the comments.

Happy 2013,
1050


7 comments:

  1. Great Find! Love this problem. And I agree the sequels are perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....and CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This warmed my heart today: A student thought it would be really cool to buy the Bottomless Mug for a homeless person.
    That blew me away! Who says math can't have any soul? Kids can truly be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! Your story warmed my heart, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in and reminding me!

      Delete
  5. When you want to get something special for your loved ones, you must look out for the personalized photo mugs & coffee mugs online

    ReplyDelete